In this class you will adapt a written story into a play.
The skills taught in this workshop can be used to adapt stories of any length to scripts for either stage or screen, but you will focus on short stories adapted into stage plays.
You will learn to:
- Find the heart of your story.
- Uncover key moments and characters.
- Plot the structure of your play.
- Get to know your characters to create convincing and relevant character dialogue.
- Learn to control the flow and pace of your story.
- Grind down and distribute information dumps evenly.
- Get in the minds of the play's future production team, director and actors.
- + More
Jerry's class sizes are small, ensuring you receive the individual assistance you need.
Jerry Ray is a local creative who has been bringing fresh theatrical entertainment to Newcastle since he was 17 years old. Both his recent adapted stage works; ‘The Little Prince’ (2014 / 2016) and ‘The Baron in the Trees’ (2015) were highly successful and received CONDA nominations for “Best New Play”. He is also the Director and presenter of Newcastle’s ‘Moonlight Cabaret’ and has been involved in many local exhibitions, productions, festivals and publications. His first book of fiction is set to be published and released in 2018.
This course runs for 4 weeks from 6th February every Tuesday night. Class runs from 6pm-8pm.
What you get:
What to bring:
An exercise book to work in, and a short story you would like to adapt. Please bring a copy of the story that you’re comfortable with scribbling in. If you don’t have one, there will be some suitable stories available at the class.
If you know what story you wish to adapt please email it to before the 4th of February.